Alton Towers.details

[Picture: Alton Towers.]
previous image
up

Image title:

Alton Towers.

Source:

Keywords:

Status:

out of copyright (called public domain in the USA), hence royalty-free stock image for all purposes usage credit requested
Please do not redistribute without permission, since running this site is expensive.

Notes:

Aother beautiful manor house or castle, with lots of towers and turrets. This picture is suitable for use as a computer desktop background image (wallpaper, root window picture) on a widescreen (8:5) display; there’s also a 4:3 wallpaper version for computer screens; choose the size that best fits your display.

Alton Towers,
near Cheadle, Staffordshire.—Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot.

The princely seat of Alton Towers, sometimes called Alton Abbey, the name itself of Alton being a contraction of Alveton, is situated in the hundred of Totmonslow, near the town of Stafford.

A Castle was erected here soon after the Norman Conquest [A.D. 1066]. In the reignof King John it was possessed by
Theobald de Verdon, whose daughter, Joan de Verdon, carried it by marriage to Thomas Lord Furnival.

In process of time the heiress of the family, Maud Furnival, brought it into the present line by her marriage with Sir John Talbot, afterwards created Earl of Shrewsbury, who had been victorious in no less than forty several [sic – Liam] battles and dangerous skirmishes, and was at last killed by a cannon in action—“The ruling passion strong in death”—at Chastillon sur Dordon, 1453. “The great Alcides of the fild, valiant Lord Talbot, earl of Shrewsbury, created, for his rare cuccess in arms, Great Earl of Washford, Waterford, and Valence, Lord Talbot of Goodrig and Urchinfield, Lord Strange of Blackmere, Lord Verdon of Alton, Lord Cromwell of Wingfield, Lord Furnival of Sheffield;”

“The thrice victorious Lord of Falconbridge,

Knight of the nobole order of Saint George,

Worthy Saint Michael and the Golden Fleece,

Great Mareshal to henry the Sixth,

Of all his wars within the realm of France.”

During the Cromwellian usurpation, the ancient castle, which was built on a precipitous rock, below which flowed the river Churnet, was destroyed by his ignorant soldiery.

the present magnificent mansion is of an irregular form, with gables and embattled towers, whence its name.

The drive through the park leads by a lodge, at the foot of a steep hill, from the town of Alton, and for more than a mile lies through pine woods.

The drawing-room opens into a fine conservatory.

The garden and pleasure-grounds are extremely beautiful and picturesque.

In one part is places a statuary head of Pitt, and opposite to it is another conservatory.

The noble family of Talbot derives its origin from Saxon times [pre-1066]; but its first recorded ancestor is Robert de Talbot, whose name is given in Domesday Book, as holding nine hides of land from Walter Giffard, Earl of Buckingham.

Share/Bookmark

Dimensions:

188 x 128mm (7.4 x 5.0 inches)

Place shown:

Filename:

068-Alton-Towers-q75-500x334.jpg

Scanner dpi:

1400 dots per inch

Unmarked:

You can get a version of this image without the watermark (the URL at the lower right corner). Download image. The images are watermarked to help people find where they came from if they get reposted to blogs or other sites. Images under 1200 pixels on a side are still free, although I will ask for a donation :-)

Comment:

Download:


$Id: mkgallery,v 1.27 2012/09/03 22:34:40 liam Exp liam $