Cloisters in Santa Scholastica, Subiacodetails

[Picture: Cloisters in Santa Scholastica, Subiaco]
previous image

Image title:

Cloisters in Santa Scholastica, Subiaco

Taken from


Out of copyright (called public domain in the USA), hence royalty-free stock image for all purposes usage credit requested
Please do not redistribute without permission, since running this site is expensive.


One of the three cloisters in this Benedictine monastery; it was built by Abbot Lando in 1235, and is decorated on the vault with mosaic work by the Cosmati. See page 36 and interleaf, page 82.

Page 82 is a picture of the exterior of the monastery; page 36 has:

In the twelfth century the art of marble working underwent a temporary revival under the influence of a talented family of artists, the Cosmati; and a good deal of their work and that of their school is still to be found in Rome, the carved marble and an inlay of mosaic upon marble being easily recognisable in the decoration of the cloisters of the lateran and of S. Paul’s outside the walls, upone ambones, cabdelabra, and tombs scattered throughout the churches. (p. 36)


Place shown:




Scanner dpi:

17362 dots per inch (approximately)



Similar images: