Chapel of Henry VII., Westminster Abbey details

Download pages:
500x378 54K
808x612 109K
1077x815 160K
1437x1088 233K
Chapel of Henry VII., Westminster Abbey
Image title: Chapel of Henry VII., Westminster Abbey
Source: Cassell: “The British Isles” (1905)
Place shown: Westminster, London, England
Keywords: cathedrals, churches, interiors, greyscale
Status: public domain in the USA, out of copyright in Canada, hence royalty-free stock image for all purposes and no usage credit required
Notes:

“Beyond the Confessor’s Chapel, and beyond the imposing Chantry of Henry V., is Henry VII.’s splendid chapel, in the Perlendicular style, with a richly decorated ceiling of fan tracery, and lined with the ancient stalls of the Knights of the Bath, each under its pendent banner.

The view from this chapel, looking back, shows every phase of Gothic architecture, from Henry III. to Henry VII. “The eye,” said Washington Irving, “is astonished by the elaborate beauty of sculptured detail.” This magnificent monument, as the chapel may well be called, was build by Henry VII. to contain all the glory of his race. His tomb, with that of his wife, Elizabeth of York, is in the centre of the chapel, enclosed by tall railings. Just in front lies their grandson, Edward VI., “flower of the Tudor name,” in an altar-romb by Torregiano.” (p. 151)

Today this is known as the Lady Chapel. It was started in 1503 by Henry VII, and was first used for making (installing) Knights of the Bath, or Order of the Bath, in 1725.

Westminster Abbey Web site

Dimensions: 115 x 86mm (4.5 x 3.4 inches)
Filename: v2s1-0154-Chapel-of-Henry-VII.,-Westminster-Abbey-q75-500x378.jpg
Comment: Add a link, leave a comment or change keywords

$Id: mkgallery,v 1.62 2007/08/19 23:41:18 lee Exp lee $

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!