The site is mentioned in the Domesday Book, and thus predates the Norman Conquest (1066), but the earliest existing castle buildings are probably entirely Norman, from before 1100 or so.
The caption to the plan reads as follows:
Description of the Plan
- Mortimer’s Tower.
- Formerly used as a Magazine, now [c. 1930] an Ice House.
- The Moat.
- Stone Bridge of two arches which occupies the place of the ancient Drawbridge.
- Buildings erected during the presidency of Sir Henry Sydney [16th C.]
- The Porter’s Lodge.
- A Newel Staircase leading to the Keep.
- The Norman Chapel.
- Site of the Choir of the Chapel.
- Apartments occupied by the two Princes sons of Edward IV. Supposed tower of Pendover.
- A small Room.
- The Armoury.
- A Watch Tower.
- The State Apartments.
- The Hall, or the Council Room.
- Prince Arthor’s Room
- The Kitchen.
- The Original Chapel, afterwards converted into a Prison.
- The Well, now [c. 1930] about 85 feet deep.
- A Tower, called the Lion’s Den.
- Small Norman Tower and Oven.
- The Black Hole.
- The Stables.
- The principal Gate-way leading to the Castle from the Town.
- Offices where the Fire Engines were kept.
- A Beacon Tower.
- Iron Palisades across the Outer Court
- A Sallyport.
- The Castle Yard or Outer Court.
Picture of Ludlow Castle Gateway
Ludlow Castle Web site with photographs, history, a virtual tour and other information.