Old England: A Pictorial Museum (page 27/50)

[picture: 524.---Plan of the Priory of St. Bartholomew.]

524.—Plan of the Priory of St. Bartholomew.

This twelfth-century priory (founded in 1123) was largely ruined, but the church was restored starting in the 1860s; this plan of the area was published in 1840 and predates any restoration work. [more...] [$]

[picture: 525.---The Crypt, St. Bartholomew's Church.]

525.—The Crypt, St. Bartholomew’s Church.

A dark stone-vaulted crypt extends as far as we can see; a man walks away from us, holding a burning taper out to light his way and carrying a heavy key. In the foreground a wine-barrel serves to hold a [...] [more...] [$]

[picture: Jailer walking into the dark]

Jailer walking into the dark

A man walks with a lighted taper into the back of the crypt. In the foreground we see empty wine-bottles and a wine-barrel (or beer-barrel). [more...] [$]

[picture: 527.---The Western Entrance, Interior, St. Bartholomew's church.]

527.—The Western Entrance, Interior, St. Bartholomew’s church.

There can be no doubt that we have the original walls, pillars, and arches of the twelfth century; the massive, grand, and simple style of the whole tells truly through the date of their erection. (p.139) [more...] [$]

[picture: 528.---Prior Rahere's Tomb.]

528.—Prior Rahere’s Tomb.

An elaborate gothick tomb in St. Bartholomew’s Priory. [more...] [$]

[picture: 565.---Canterbury Cathedral, South Side.]

565.—Canterbury Cathedral, South Side.

“Look at Canterbury. How many changes of architectural taste are not there visible; how many different periods of are history may not be there traced: yet is the effect anywhere discordant?—Oh, he were indeed presumptious who should say so. Is it not rather in the highest degree grand and impressive, conveying at once to the mind that sense of sublime [...] [more...] [$]

[picture: 566,---Cathedral Precinct Gateway.]

566,—Cathedral Precinct Gateway.

Entrance to Canterbury Cathedral precinct. [more...] [$]

[picture: 567.---Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral.]

567.—Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral.

“[...] an ancient chair in the chapel of the Holy Trinity, formed also of grey marble, in pieces, which is used for the enthronization of the Archbishops of the See, and which, sayeth tradition, was the ancient regal seat of the Saxon kings of Kent, who may have given it to the Cathedral as an emblem of their pious submission to Him who was then first [...] [more...] [$]


Note: If you got here from a search engine and don’t see what you were looking for, it might have moved onto a different page within this gallery.