- Sect. I. Rules of Blazoning in General.
- Sect. II. Accidents of Arms.
- Sect. III. Essential Parts of Arms
- Sect. IV. The several Kinds of Escocheon.
- Sect. V. What Field and Charge are.
- Sect. VI. The several Kinds of Honourable Ordinaries
and their Diminutives.
- Sect. VII. Of Lines with their diverse Forms.
- Sect. VIII. Some few Coats referr’d to, for the diverse
bearing of several Ordinaries.
- Sect. IX. Cautions: Containing
the Names of Roundles, Guttees, and other Matters.
Chap. I. Of Blazon.
BLAZON, Strictly taken, signifies, the Explication
of Arms, in apt and significant Terms; more
largely, it is taken for a Display of the Vertues of the
Bearers of Arms. A certain French Armorist has comprehended
both in a Word, viz. To Blazon is to express
what the Shapes, Kinds, and Colours of things born in
Arms are, together with their apt Significations. This
Chapter will contain Nine Sections, whereof the first is,