Warwick and Leamington (page 3/3)

[picture: Guy's Cliffe, Warwick]

Guy’s Cliffe, Warwick

“The Coventry road to Guy’s Cliffe is a royal and a literary road. Kings, queens, princes, poets, painters and authors have trodden it; also that luckless King’s favourite, Piers Gaveston, whose comely head fell from his shoulders upon Blacklow Hill, a few yards from the Cliffe, on 27th June, 1312, by order of that grim Earl of Warwick whom he in [...] [more...] [$]

[picture: The Leam at Leamington]

The Leam at Leamington

“For from leafy Leamington every old, historic, and romantic spot in the whole of Shakeslpeare’s classic land can be visited and inspected in a day’s ride in carriage, coach, or motor car.” (p. 32) [more...] [$]

[picture: In the Jephson Gardens, Leamington]

In the Jephson Gardens, Leamington

“Enter the Jephson Gardens now by this eastern end, and go right through to the Parade, and to the Pump Room and Gardens across the Parade. These handsoe Gardens take their title from the celebrated Dr. Jephson, who for many years was a resident of Leamington and made it his home, living in the elegant stonehouse at the corner of DaleStreet called [...] [more...] [$]

[picture: Nathaniel Hawthorne's House]

Nathaniel Hawthorne’s House

“The way to Nathaniel Hawthorne’s ‘nest of a place’ is up the shady Holly Walk, which leads immediately out of the Royal Parade, [...] by the imposing Renaissance Town Hall and the [...] [more...] [$]

[picture: The Parade and Pump Room, Leamington]

The Parade and Pump Room, Leamington

“Crossing the gay Parade from the Jephson Gardens just at its very gayest here, the Grand Pump Rooms and Baths, erected in 1813 at a cost of £30,000, and greatly enlarged and improved since, stand before us, with their imposing colonnade supported by Roman Doric pillars, their spacious gardens, with a picturesque kiosk for the band in the centre, [...] [more...] [$]

[picture: The Old Well House and Parish Church, Leamington]

The Old Well House and Parish Church, Leamington

The Parish Church of Leamington was originally a chapel-of-ease to the mother church of St. Peter’s at Wootton Wawen, in the heart of the Forest of Arden. The Church is said [in this book] to date [...]i. e. bell-tower] dates from 1898. [more...] [$]


Note: If you got here from a search engine and don’t see what you were looking for, it might have moved onto a different page within this gallery.